Our Privacy/Cookie Policy contains detailed information about the types of cookies & related technology on our site, and some ways to opt out. By using the site, you agree to the uses of cookies and other technology as outlined in our Policy, and to our Terms of Use.

Close

Are Peonies Poisonous for Cats?

By Laura Payne | Updated September 26, 2017

Valeriya/iStock/Getty Images

Cats may be finicky eaters, but potential remains for them to eat something poisonous. Case in point: the peony. The peony plant contains a toxin that makes it poisonous to cats when ingested in large amounts. A cat's consumption of large amounts is unlikely but possible.

The Toxin in Peony Plants

The toxin in peony plants is called paeonol. The Pet Poison Helpline website indicates that the toxicity level of paeonol is generally mild and that the toxin is most concentrated in the plant’s woody stems. As cats do not usually eat woody garden plants, the risk of paeonol poisoning is slim.

Signs of Poisoning and What to Do

If you suspect your cat has ingested any portion of a peony plant, watch him for vomiting, diarrhea and depression. These are the signs of paeonol poisoning.

Call your veterinarian immediately if you notice any signs of poisoning. If you see your cat eat part of a peony, do not force vomiting.

Video of the Day

Brought to you by Cuteness
Brought to you by Cuteness

Photo Credits

  • Valeriya/iStock/Getty Images

Author

Laura Payne has been freelance writing for several online publications in her free time since 2006. She holds a Master of Arts in linguistics from Wayne State University and a Bachelor of Arts in journalism from Oakland University. Payne teaches linguistics classes at both universities on an adjunct basis.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

See More Animals